Oregon Finale

James and I saved a hike up Spencer Butte for our last full day in Oregon.  This is a trail that I am very familiar with and hiked many many many times over the spring, summer, and fall months.

But first, we made a trip to Market of Choice for breakfast.  The breakfast of champions: 1/2 a cinnamon bun, a cup of soygurt, odwalla juice, and a whole wheat bagel.  Yes, I ate it all.  No time for pictures!

We ate our breakfast in the Spencer Butte parking lot, and were greeted by these creatively graffitied port-a-potties.


The trail itself is steep, rocky, full of over-hanging green branches and towering trees.  When you finally reach the peak, the trees clear away, and you are rewarded with a fantastic panoramic view of Eugene and several of the Cascade mountains.  Just watch out for poison oak on your way up.



We spent our final night with Jodie, Anthony, Holland, and Josh.  Our goal was to help Jodie and Anthony make a significant dent in their left-over wedding feast.  I’d say that we did a pretty good job.  Backyard garden was admired, food was eaten, beer and wine were drunk, and mahjong was played.  With such a full three days, we were all beat and called it an early night.


Around 9am the next morning Holland prepared us a goodbye breakfast.  Crepes, homemade plum compote (using the plums that grow from a tree in her backyard), scrambled eggs (made by Josh), and homemade banana bread.  What great hosts!  I, on the other hand, was not a great food blogger, and missed a breakfast photo opportunity.

James and I left for the airport around 10am and had no problem with our flights.  When we arrived in Salt Lake City for our layover, we grabbed lunch at a bar called Squatters. Immediately we knew that we needed to try the Polygamy Porter.  It was early in the day, so we split this pint.



On a breakfast-food kick, I ordered the Vegan Breakfast for lunch.  Scrambled Tofu, and a Bagel.


A long weekend of indulgent eating left me craving greens.  We split this salad with lime cilantro dressing on the side.


After a long cab ride from JFK, we made it home around 1 am, and I was up for work by 6… which felt like 3am west coast time!  Needless to say, I struggled to catch up and have been exhausted.  Very little running was done.  Just when I began to feel like I was back in the groove, I got sick.  Of course–traveling, air planes, not enough sleep, a city that is too crowded.  I think that I have run about 5 miles in the past two weeks.  I will be running again soon!

Posting has also been a bit slow lately.  Now that I am finished with the epic Oregon recap, you can count on more regular posts.  There is also a big project in the works….

Good night!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s